Are the #ThursdayAesthetics sending you into a Pinterest frenzy, but you're not sure how to make your own aesthetic? Here's a guide on how to use Canva for your aesthetics!
What's Canva? Canva is a free-to-use website (and phone app) that has all sorts of templates to make aesthetics easy.
Note: This guide is as of May 2018.
How to make an aesthetic
1. Gather your photos & download them to your computer
PSA: Please consider purchasing or finding free-to-use graphics (https://www.pexels.com is one site that offers free stock photos!). It takes hours and hours for artists to create beautiful graphics!
Hint: Save your photos to one file on your computer to make them easy to upload!
2. Sign up for a Canva.com account
3. Go to "Create a Design" and choose "Photo Collage"
4. Choose your template.
For this one, we'll go with a simple, pre-set layout. Double-click to populate the template.
5. Choose UPLOADS from the grey menu bar on the left and then select the green button to upload your photos.
Hint: you can also drag and drop your photos into the photo area.
6. Select your photos and drag them over to each frame in the template.
7. If your template comes with text, double click on the text to edit it.
Hint: Use the Options bar on top to change the color/font/etc.
8. OPTIONAL: Filter your photos! Click on your photo and choose "Filter" from the Options bar to play around with different filters.
Hint: Changing the filter for the photo will only change that one photo, not each individual photo. Select each photo to change the filter.
9. Almost done! Save your photo as a PNG or JPG (either is fine)!
Hint: To download the photo, click on "Download" on the top menu bar, choose JPG or PNG from the drop down, and then hit the green "Download" button. Don't press anything when it says "Hold tight, preparing your design..."
Congrats, you're finished! Share your photo on Twitter, Instagram, etc.! Have fun checking out all the different options in Canva.
Click here for Part Two of my Aesthetics Guide.
About Julie Abe
Julie writes magical MG and YA adventures. Julie's debut, EVA EVERGREEN, SEMI-MAGICAL WITCH, is a middle grade fantasy releasing in 2020 (Little, Brown Young Readers), and the magic will continue in 2021! She is represented by Sarah Landis at Sterling Lord Literistic.
Add Eva Evergreen, Semi-Magical Witch to your Goodreads TBR:
How I Got My Agent!
My Top Questions for The Call
Tips for (Before) The Call
How-to: Create an Author's Website
4on7: Author Mentor Match